September 8, 2010

What Really Matters

.



Worry you not, I'll get back to parties and such soon but wanted to take today to share the 9/11 National Day of Service with you all.
.
I think you know that I, as much as anyone, can get all caught up in all things sparkly and fluffy and party, but, as much as I love parties and all things entertaining, I love my non-profit work more. (Don't tell anyone...)
.
In fact, you may have noticed that by a lack of actual events done by me here as of late. I've had to make some choices because, let's face it ladies, we just can't do it all. Okay, I can't. Not well at least! So, when given the choice to accept an event or devote even more time to Operation Shower, I've chosen Operation Shower more times than not in the past year. Naturally this helps that Stem isn't my sole means of income. Let's just get that out there. I'm not starving or going shoeless. I still love to shop, people!
.
I am however, putting aside a lot of personal gains with my business to spend the majority of my "free" time on Operation Shower. I've had to decide what really matters to me. I'm not saying this to get claps or awards or not that this whole party world doesn't matter. It's really kind of selfish because of the joy giving back brings me. (Don't tell anyone that, either....) Oh, and does it hurt that part of my work involved throwing Baby Showers for deserving moms? No, not it does not! Mama still needs her fix.
.
This week is a great chance to get a little bit of the feel good feeling of giving back for yourself. Don't know where to start? Check out the 9/11 National Day of Service site.
.
9/11 National Day of Service encourages all Americans and others to voluntarily support charitable causes, perform good deeds and engage in other service activities in observance of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. You can find a charity close to you by logging onto the site. You can also do your own good deed and post it.
.
Soon I will have a very exciting announcement on how you can all help with Operation Shower. Joining me will be some of your favorite party gals from around the web. It's going to be a big, national party. Stay tuned for that!
.
Until then, do something this weekend for someone else. Big or small. It all counts!
.
Cheers,

Amy

2 comments:

christina said...

I have to agree, there is nothing like helping others. While I don't do it on a large scale, like you, I think every little bit helps. Thanks for sharing the charitable org's with us. I will definately be doing more to help others. I can't wait to see the details on operation shower. My burp cloths are almost finished for it!! oh, these women are so deserving of a fabulous party!!! thanks for all your hard work on the shower, your amazingly caring!!

Colleen said...

As someone who not only spent quite a bit of time doing business at the Twin towers, but also lost many friends in the 9/11 attacks, your entry is very much appreciated. I hope many people take time out on Saturday to reflect. Being married to a career firefighter, we are reminded daily of the 343 personnel who gave their lives to save others.